Some 82 Ghanaian nationals have been evacuated from Sudan to safety, amid the ongoing pitch battles and violence in that country, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, has disclosed.
On Monday, the Foreign Ministry in a statement assured Ghanaians, that it will commence the evacuation of Ghanaian nationals who have been stuck in the violence.
Another statement issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration on Tuesday said the Ministry in collaboration with its Missions in Cairo, Addis Ababa, the Honorary Consul in Khartoum and student leaders had so far successfully evacuated two batches of 50 and 27 persons identified as Ghanaian nationals to safety in Gedaref, Sudan.
It said they would be transported on Wednesday, April 26th, to the Ethiopian border town of Metema where they would be received by Ghanaian Embassy officials, processed for Ethiopian entry visas and, subsequently, repatriated home.
They comprise 34 males and 43 females.
Additionally, the statement said, three Ghanaian footballers and two others working for an Australian Mining Company were being evacuated through the Egyptian border post of Wadi Halfa, north of Sudan.
“This brings a total of 82 Ghanaian nationals who have been evacuated to safety,” the statement said.
The Ministry also appealed to Ghanaians stranded in Sudan, to take note of the contact details of the Honorary Consul who is on standby to assist them to be evacuated to safety.”
It urged them to contact Mr Osama Ataaelmanna on phone number +249-92920-0000 for further assistance.
Thousands of people have been displaced in Sudan as a result of a deadly war between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.
Khartoum has been the epicenter of the violence, with civilians suffering the most.